Cyclotomic polynomial for n=0

franktaw at netscape.net franktaw at netscape.net
Mon Nov 6 22:27:14 CET 2006

Strictly speaking, the cyclotomic polynomial for n=0 is undefned.  The
two packages have chosen different ways to extend the concept to n=0;
it would have been perfectly OK for them to have returned some kind of
error.

There are reasonable arguments for either choice.  A lot comes down to
the basic property that the degree is phi(n); the question then is,
what is phi(0)?  Again, this is strictly speaking undefined, but there
are two reasonable choices: 0 and 1.  phi(0) = 0 gives 1 as the value
of the 0th cyclotomic polynomial.  If we take phi(0) = 1, then we need
to choose a root for the polynomial.  Choosing 0 as the root gives the
nice property that the cyclotomic polynomials for n >= 0 constitute all
the primitive monic polynomials all of whose roots lie in the unit
disk; hence the selection of x as the polynomial.

If you take the formula Phi_n(x) = Product_{0<=k<n, gcd(k,n) = 1} e^{2
k Pi i / n}, you get Phi_0(x) = 1.  On the other hand, if we regard
this as a product over distinct residues modulo n that are relatively
prime to n, we get x - e^{2 Pi i / 0}, which is undefined.

You can also make a case for 0 as the "correct" value.  Phi_n(x) is
x^n-1, divided by all x - u for primitive dth roots of unity u for d a
proper divisor of n.  x^0-1 is 0; you can divide it by anything you
want, and the result is still 0.  (Of course, this becomes an infinite
product in the denominator - but this is only a plausibility argument.)

Franklin T. Adams-Watters