practical numbers

franktaw at netscape.net franktaw at netscape.net
Mon Nov 27 20:12:37 CET 2006

To answer the second question first, it suffices to show that every
number up to and including ceiling(n/2) is a sum of the divisors of n.
Except for n=3, that can be floor(n/2) instead.  (If n is odd, 2 is not
a sum; if n is even, every m with n/2 <= m < n is a sum n/2 plus a
number less than n/2.)  This answers the first question, essentially in
the negative: 3 is the only such number.

More interesting, perhaps: what about numbers such that every number up
to n, with only 1 exception, are the sum of divisors of n?  (Note that
this has to be n in this case, not sigma(n), since the possible sums
are symmetric with respect to sigma(n) - if a set S of divisors sums to
m, then the complement of S, with respect to the set of divisors of n,
sums to sigma(n) - m.)

70 is one such number, skipping only 4; I think 70p for any prime 5 <=
p < 70 does the same.  945 is another, skipping 2.  (945 is the
smallest odd abundant number.)  I think that these values (70, 350,
490, 770, 910, 945) are the only ones up to 1000.

The number skipped is always even; in fact, it always one less than a
prime divisor p of n (and 1 more than the sum of the divisors of a
practical divisor of n - which implies that that practical divisor is a
square or twice a square).  Except for n=3, there must be another prime
divisor q of n with p < q < 2p.

Franklin T. Adams-Watters