Problems with A121312

franktaw at netscape.net franktaw at netscape.net
Mon Oct 2 22:23:22 CEST 2006

Two problems with this sequence
(http://www.research.att.com/~njas/sequences/A121312):

The minor one is that the author has misspelled "independent" as
"independant" twice, adding an extra "s" at the end the second time.

More seriously, I don't know what he means by "independent subset".
Mathworld shows this as a synonym for "disjoint subset", but that is
clearly not what is meant here.  I don't know what definition of
independent would have ({x}, {x}) and ({x}, {y}) not be independent,
but ({}, {}), ({}, {x,y}), and ({x,y}, {x,y}) would be independent.

The formulas and program don't leave me any wiser; they show how the
sequence was computed, but not what it means.

Franklin T. Adams-Watters