Core 2 Duo and speed of computations

Brendan McKay bdm at cs.anu.edu.au
Thu Oct 12 15:45:43 CEST 2006

I tested exactly this pair of processors last month on my own
programs and the core duo was 10-20% faster. My programs were
single-thread C programs and the result could well be different
for other types of program. Also, my test used only one of the two
processors of the core duo, so if you are running something that
takes advantage of two processors you will get anything up to a
factor of 2 better (and if not, you can run two programs at once).

So I advise the core duo.  If you have a little more money, go
for the 2.4 GHz version since it has twice the cache size and
this will be more important than the 2.4/2.1 clock speed ratio.
I just ordered one myself..

Brendan.

* Lßbos ElemÚr <Labos at ana.sote.hu> [061012 18:42]: