Core 2 Duo and speed of computations

Joerg Arndt arndt at jjj.de
Tue Oct 17 06:12:58 CEST 2006

Do not buy a 32-bit CPU, buy a 64-bit one.  And then, do not run a
32-bit O/S!

I didn't yet try intels' new chips, but up to now AMD64 was (much)
better than the dreadful P4 chips, even at much lower clock-speed.

Get the CPU manuals and check thruoghput and latency of the most
important instructions.  If no such document is available the
manufacturer has to hide something and you can draw your conclusions.

There is nothing better than your own benchmarks.  Never believe in
any benchmark whose machine code you do not know.

* Lßbos ElemÚr <Labos at ana.sote.hu> [Oct 17. 2006 13:49]: