Deli problem

Joshua Zucker joshua.zucker at gmail.com
Fri Oct 20 17:20:26 CEST 2006

It seems like http://www.research.att.com/~njas/sequences/A117294 is a
sort-of-related sequence, except that it's asking about multiplication
instead of addition?

I like the idea, though, of counting those additive sequences!

I think there could be a relatively simple algorithm for counting
them: start with first term of 0, then second term is between 1 and 99
(or maybe between 0 and 99?  But there are infinitely many different
sequences that have n 0s followed by approximately n 1s and then
approximately n 2s and so on -- n can be any positive integer -- so I
think if we want to make a sequence out of it, we'd have to exclude
those cases?), and given the second term you have an upper and lower
bound on the actual weight per slice, so that gives you a set of
possibilities for the third term, and so on.  Doesn't seem like too
hard a computer programming problem, anyway.

--Joshua Zuzkcer