Counting n-gons

franktaw at netscape.net franktaw at netscape.net
Tue Oct 24 17:28:30 CEST 2006

(First of all, you seem to have left off "non" a few times.  Plus, I
think you mean to refer to "simple" and "nonsimple" polygons, rather
than "convex" and "[non]convex".)

Allowing nonsimple polygons doesn't make any difference.  The sequence
of side lengths for a nonsimple polygon are also the sequence of side
lengths for a simple polygon.  So, unless you want to explicitly make a
distinction between polygons based on their crossing properties, you
get the same number of polygons.  (This might be an interesting
question, but it does require some more clarification: do you allow
crossings at vertices, or only in mid-edge?  In the former case, can
two vertices coincide?  In the latter, can three or more edges cross at
a single point?  More subtly, if we have, for example, a pentagon whose
sides are different but sufficiently close to equal, we can create a
figure with one pair of crossed sides, crossing any pair of
non-adjacent sides.  Is this 5 different polygons, or only 1?)

Second,  note that the current question is the number of polygons with
a given perimeter.  Such polygons might be similar to polygons with a
smaller perimeter, but not to another with the same perimeter.  In any
event, the reference to A005044 makes it clear: we are counting all
such polygons, not just the irreducible ones.

Finally, I thought my earlier post was clear enough, but not everybody
seems to have gotten the message.  You *can't* count polygons of more
than 3 sides with integral sides up to congruence.  It isn't just a
matter of flipping a pair of sides; as the rhombus example shows, the
number of non-congruent polygons with 4 or more sides of specified
(possible) lengths is infinite - of the order of the continuum, to be
precise.  This is something every builder knows - triangles are rigid,
larger polygons are not.

Franklin T. Adams-Watters