New twist(?) on old point-counting problem

Jonathan Post jvospost3 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 27 19:52:27 CEST 2006

I'm interested in this. I have one recent OEIS sequence that enumerates ways
to partition n into the ordered sum of squares of integers less than 5.
That was a tiny excerpt from a long monograph on "imaginary logic" in which
I find myself enumerating vectors in vector subspaces of Z^n by the
Euclidean norm | (a, b, c, d) | = a^2 + b^2 + c^2 + d^2. I find that the
norms divide in many cases the elements of my systems from "forbidden"
vectors in the same vector space, which are not elements in my *-Algebra,
closed under certain operations including string reversal and concatenation.
More generally, I'm wrestling with quaternion norms and norms in *-Algebras,
and trying not to be led astray into Banach spaces and Hopf Algebras, to the
detriment of the study's original goals, and the integer sequences which
fall out of it.

One seqfan asked for an got an earlier partial draft of my long paper, and
found that I'd failed to answer the question in which he was interested.
And that seqfan is VERY expert in the matrix theory underlying Quantum
Mechanics and entanglement.  I have sometimes offended seqfans with "ugly"
sequences, and/or too many sequences.  I have yet to earn a "nice" after
over 1,370 tries.  I depend on criticism to redirect me in the right
direction.  Criticism is always useful (not name-calling, mind you) and
editors are essential.  OEIS has an amazing editorial board, excellently
managed by njas. I have learned much from them, and much already from
seqfans.

Surely someone in seqfans knows it David Wilson has rediscovered something
known for a century, or not.