Rosh Hashana Calculations

Henry Gould gould at math.wvu.edu
Tue Sep 26 18:38:00 CEST 2006

Putting religious numbers sequences into OEIS troubles me. For a
beginning example, the precise day that Ramadan beings in subject to
widely different interpretations. One authoritative source believes it
is one day and others thins it is another day. Some people are very
strict and say it begins when the leader actually SEES the new moon.

In short I believe these kinds of numbers are too variable to deserve
any mention in OEIS.

Does anyone else agree?

These matters like some other recreational sequences are just too vague
for my taste. Likewise the planet numbers, atomic weights, binding
energies, etc. and most physical constants. They just do not belong in
OEIS, which ought to be concerned with validly defined MATHEMATICAL
sequences, not artificially contrived and religious numbers. I do not
even believe the ushango numbers from the African bone constitute a
validly defined sequence so I think OEIS is getting toltally wild and
unpleasing if you let these thing in. They belong in an amusement
category on another website.

Henry Gould