A071810

franktaw at netscape.net franktaw at netscape.net
Fri Sep 8 06:30:31 CEST 2006

The numbers representable as the sum of distinct values from any finite
set are symmetric: if a set S sums to m, the complement of S sums to N
- m.  So what I'm claiming is that every number up to N is
representable as the sum of primes up to Prime(n), except for 1, 4, 6,
11, N-11, N-6, N-4, and N-1.

This doesn't so much follow from "every number except 1, 4, 6, and 11
is representable as the sum of distinct primes" (like I said) as the
other way around.  You show this by a fairly straightforward if
slightly messy induction; I'm not going to go into the details.

Franklin T. Adams-Watters