Answering njas: definition of POLYPON

Jonathan Post jvospost3 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 10 00:46:39 CET 2007

A057785  Blunt polypons (no 30 deg. angles) with n cells.
COMMENT
It would be nice to have a definition of "polypon"! - njas, May 09 2007

After looking at over 170 web pages, I have one likely positive hit, a
vast number of typographical errors, and two weird false positive.

The probable correct coinage:

"If we use the grid below then we obtain sets of shapes which we could
call polypons from the isosceles triangle (pons asinorum) which is the
basis of the tessellation."
http://geocities.com/alclarke0/PolyPages/PolyX/PolyX.htm

The two weirdities:

polypon: J 1 [where J = Liber Juratus (Sworn Book of Honorius)]
Index of Angel names, magical words, and names of God
http://www.esotericarchives.com/solomon/nameindx.htm
Copyright 1998 by Joseph H. Peterson. All rights reserved.

and, stranger still, as I took courses from this professor:

Collected Plays, Volumes I and II by Oscar Mandel
Professor Snaffle's Polypon, and Of Angels and Eskimos
Santa Barbara, California:
Unicorn Press
Distributed by Spectrum Productions
979 Casiano Road
Los Angeles CA 90049
Volume One ISBN 0-87775-000-0
Volume Two ISBN 0-87775-001-7
211 + 204 pages
The hard cover set: $24.00

I disregard the Swedish Jazz group: "Helges Polypon-Boys" because we
don't know the etymology: angel, typo, or variant of "polyphone"?