Travelling salesman problem

Mitch Harris maharri at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 18:57:06 CET 2007

If I understand your graph correctly (it looks like it should be P_n x
P_n) then the number of shortest paths is the number of paths that can
only go down (choosing left or right when possible). This is
equivalent to strings of L and R of length 2n having exactly n L's and
n R's in any order, which is the same as the number of subsets of size
n from a set of size 2n or:

  {2n \choose n} = (2n)!/(n!^2)

(given that your graph's are:
 / \
x   x
 \ /

and:

 / \
 x x
/ \ / \
x x x
\ / \ /
 x  x
  \ /

 (these are called 'grid graphs' in the English combinatorics literature)

--
Mitch Harris