About the page "Hints for Using OEIS"

Russ Cox rsc at swtch.com
Wed Dec 12 17:50:02 CET 2007

> So, for example, the search for
> Polya 1987
> does not find anything, because of that 1987,
> and one has to resort to ref:Polya ref:1987
>
> I think that this behavior, which is not exactly intuitive,
> should be stated in the hint page.

The hints page describes what *should* be happening.
The fact that the search results disagree is a bug in the
search results.  I'll take a closer look later, but for now
rest assured that this is simply a bug in the search.

Russ

That's another error I made in formulating my question. I don't mean a
current state-of-the-art. As someone else pointed out (and it's another
mistake I made), the sequences I'm interested in are relatively "simple" --
they aren't generated using functions like nextprime or other number theory
functions. Examples include David Wilson's estimate (not proven) of an
exponent (1.59267) such that there's always a prime between n^e and (n+1)^e,
the constant D such that ] x-x/D, x [ contains a prime, etc. Thanks to
everyone for their responses!