Problems with A000028/A000379.

wouter meeussen wouter.meeussen at pandora.be
Fri Dec 21 00:11:34 CET 2007

hi Tony et al.,

I just checked my backup CD's, but could not retrace the original mails.
What I remember is this:

at some stage in september 2001, I (was hinted to) hit on a "Infinitary"
lode, going from divisors, over
iSigma, iMoebiusMu, then iEulerPhi, and finally iZeta.

It seems that A049417, then A064175 (with reference to Lambek & Moser
included: superseeker hit?)
define the time frame.

In 2001, I mailed to Neil S. with a request for help on A000028, which was
rather obscure (to me) and short at the time. As I remember (??) Neil
reacted by 'correcting' the A000028 and A000379, but I don't remember how,
or what problem I posed about'm. I never understood what they originally
were supposed to be, by lack of  copy of that original reference (despite my
nagging, Neil isn't a library on his own...).

What were the original versions? You still seem to have them.
What is all the "amazing ~ unamazing" about?

When I think of those "infinitary" items, I remember them as examples where
the difference with the "ordinary" divisors-sigma-mu-phi-Zeta stuff only
starts to show up at rather high indices. I mentioned this in A064179:
" mu[45]=0 but iMoebiusMu[45]=1 because 45 = 3^2 * 5^1 and the binary digits
of 2 and 1 add up to 2, an even number."
and in A064175:
" mu[60]=0 but iMoebiusMu[60]=-1 because 60 = 2^2 *3^1 *5^1 and the binary
digits of 2 and 1 and 1 add up to 3, an odd number."
I can also check the mail archives at work, (after new year, not now), and
see if I can trace the correspondence with Neil from there.

But ok now, let's get it right this time.

season's greetings,

Wouter.