What are the PARI/GP alternatives to contfrac() ?

Alexander Povolotsky apovolot at gmail.com
Fri Dec 28 20:21:59 CET 2007

Dear Max -

>You've got wrong impression.

I don't mind to be corrected but this time I just was quoting what the entry
in the
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continued_fraction wiki says.
Perhaps you have not looked yourself at it directly
(now I copied ant pasted it below for your viewing pleasure ).

Max -  if you feel that discussed wiki entry incorrect - please do go ahead
and correct it.

Regards,
Alex

PS Could you please show your PARI/GP results in generating last two
variants (as shown /pasted below) using contfrac() with additional argument
?

This continued fraction is unpredictable and irregular:
[image: \pi = 3 + \cfrac{1}{7 + \cfrac{1}{15 + \cfrac{1}{1 + \cfrac{1}{292 +
\cfrac{1}{1 + \cfrac{1}{1 + \cfrac{1}{1 + \cfrac{1}{2 +
\cfrac{1}{\ddots}}}}}}}}}]

However, there are perfectly regular generalized continued fractions for π,
such as:
[image: \pi = \cfrac{4}{1 + \cfrac{1}{3 + \cfrac{4}{5 + \cfrac{9}{7 +
\cfrac{16}{9 + \cfrac{25}{11 + \cfrac{36}{13 +
\cfrac{49}{\ddots}}}}}}}}] [image:
\pi=3 + \cfrac{1}{6 + \cfrac{9}{6 + \cfrac{25}{6 + \cfrac{49}{6 +
\cfrac{81}{6 + \cfrac{121}{\ddots\,}}}}}}]

where each of the numerators is an odd
number<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Odd_number>
squared <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squaring>.