Lattice Animals with self-avoiding perimeters

franktaw at netscape.net franktaw at netscape.net
Thu Feb 22 10:56:49 CET 2007

I think this variation of the question has a much simpler answer:
arrange n size 1 holes in a pattern as close to a square as possible
(fit in the smallest grid k x k or k x (k+1) - or actually 2k+1 x 2k+1
or 2k+1 x 2k+3, in order to leave space between the holes), and
surround them.  Thus if k^2 < n <= k^2+k, the solution has a perimeter
of 4n+2*(2k+1+2k+3) = 4n+8k+8 , and if k^2+k < n <= (k+1)^2, the
perimeter is  4n+2*2*(2k+3) = 4n+8k+12.  This is 4*A121150(n).

Franklin T. Adams-Watters