Images of 27x27 table of tersums (like Nim-sums but base 3)

Antti Karttunen antti.karttunen at gmail.com
Mon Jan 1 03:31:32 CET 2007

Gerald McGarvey wrote:

> PARI has some graphics capabilities but not color graphics as far as I
> know,
> but I'm not a PARI expert. It can be called from other languages that
> could
> do the graphics, e.g. C++ or better yet Python (via PariPython).
> http://www.fermigier.com/fermigier/PariPython/readme.html

Thanks, I will look at these.

> <http://www.fermigier.com/fermigier/PariPython/readme.html>Looking at
> the differences between A048720 and A051776 (Nim-products)
> it looks like there is some sort of relationship between them.
> Differences
> for n and m > 1:
>  1  5  0  0  1  5  4  4 5
>  5  3  0  0 -3 -5 20 20
>  0  0 10 18 10 18 21
>  0  0 18 10 22 14
>  1 -3 10 22 15
>  5 -5 18 14
>  4 20 21
>  4 20
>  5
> Cheers,
> Gerald

Well, both are symmetric tables, so their difference is symmetric as well.
Is there some other relationship "on the surface" that I miss?
(One could consider also the "XOR"-differences.)

BTW, my speculations about the "balanced ternary" system
and "dipolynomials" in my previous mail were widely off the mark.
(Somehow the coefficients and exponents got mixed in my brain. Blame
it on the late hours...)

In any case, the former is interesting by itself:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balanced_ternary

Yours,

Antti Karttunen