OEIS programs

Antti Karttunen antti.karttunen at gmail.com
Tue Jan 2 17:55:48 CET 2007

David Wilson wrote:

>> The file names should start with "a". I normally use "txt" as the
>> suffix,
>> but I suppose "pl" or "py" etc. would also work.
>> Neil
>

> Agreed about the "a", sorry, I modified a b-file entry as an example.
>
> The ".pl" is the standard extension for a Perl program. I suppose
> other programming languages would have other extensions.

I have added also the .txt extension to the Programs I have submitted, e.g:
http://www.research.att.com/~njas/sequences/a091247.scm.txt
http://www.research.att.com/~njas/sequences/a080069.py.txt
http://www.research.att.com/~njas/sequences/a089839.c.txt

Why? The purpose is that the user gets to see the program code
nicely in his/her browser window as the primary purpose of the programs
is to communicate the algorithm (which often is also the definition)
to the other users, and only the secondary is that somebody would
start modifying/running the program for more terms.

At least in some older Windowses (but it also depends on the settings
of the serving server?), files with extensions like .sh or .scm
or .pl (Both Perl and Prolog-programs have used that extension, by the way!)
are not shown on the screen, but saving to the disk is the only
option that the browser (at least IE) allows.
And who knows how some future degenerated Windows
twenty years from now will interpret those extensions?
But the .txt extension will probably stay unmolested
for the foreseeable future.

Cheers,

Antti