A seqfan forum...

Max A. maxale at gmail.com
Fri Jan 12 19:05:08 CET 2007

I think there is a difference between newsgroups that spread around
the world and groups that are *hosted* at Google Groups (GG).
sci.math is an example of the first kind, while, say, GMail Help
Discussion is an example of second kind:
http://groups.google.com/group/Gmail-Help-Discussion

GG cannot do much with newsgroups like sci.math, it just forwards
messages back and forth between people who read it through GG and
people who use other news-servers or services. If these other
news-servers and services is the source of crappy things (as it is
usually so), GG cannot do anything about that.

But over locally hosted (i.e., at Google) groups GG has the total
control. In particular, it can require authorization for people (at
the group's owner discretion) who wants to join and to post there and
really hide senders' emails from outsiders and email harvesters. Take
a look at GMail Help Discussion, you won't find any spam messages
there and you won't see senders' emails right away. Moreover, if
joining a group requires a personal authorization of the group
administrator (like in the case of SeqFan), there is no way for
spammers and viruses to abuse such a group.

Max