Sequence related to figurate numbers

Andrew Plewe aplewe at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jan 13 19:22:45 CET 2007

(I'm assuming that the sum must have at least 2 terms after the initial
one is dropped, otherwise we can trivially get everything except 1.)

Try looking just at column 2 plus column 3.  This gives, in rows
(indexed by the increment):
5
8 10
11 13 15
14 16 18 20
17 19 21 23 25
20 22 24 26 28 30

As you can see, each row has an increment of 2, with alternating rows
even and odd.  And from the point shown on, each row overlaps the 2nd
previous row.  So the only values missing from this triangle are:

1,2,3,4,6,7,9,12.

We can verify that 9 can be represented (2+3+4); the others cannot.  (7
= 3 + 4 and 12 = 3 + 4 + 5, but Andrew specified summation starting at
the second column.)

Franklin T. Adams-Watters