Sequence related to figurate numbers

Andrew Plewe aplewe at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jan 13 20:44:50 CET 2007

The following statements (suggested by lofar in russian forum
lib.mexmat.ru/forum/) are true:

Let n x n matrices A and B contain the same n^2 variables as elements, then
1) If |det(A)|=|det(B)| then B=PAQ or B=(PAQ)^T where P and Q are some
permutation matrices.
2) If |det(A)|=|det(B)| and trace(A)=trace(B) then B=PAP^{-1} or
B=(PAP^{-1})^T where P is some permutation matrix.

Now it is easy to give an answer to your original question:

> How many different matrices n x n with n^2 different elements occured which have that same characteristic polynomial?

Note that if charpoly(A)=charpoly(B) then det(A)=det(B) and
trace(A)=trace(B), implying that B=PAP^{-1} or B=(PAP^{-1})^T for some
permutation matrix P. Therefore, the answer to your question is 2*n!
(where n! stands for the number of different permutation matrices and
2 accounts for a possible transposition of the matrix).

Max