Lenormand concatenated words on alphabet (x,y)

Christian G. Bower bowerc at usa.net
Tue Jan 30 19:54:25 CET 2007

The Human Metabolome Database is an extremely important new
comprehensive searchable online resource.  It is not, inherently,
about integer sequences, but it is a central encyclopedia about
chemicals, and some chemicals have enumerations  in OEIS.

See the home page at:
http://www.hmdb.ca/

"The Human Metabolome Database (HMDB) is a freely available electronic
database containing detailed information about small molecule
metabolites found in the human body. It is intended to be used for
applications in metabolomics, clinical chemistry, biomarker discovery
and general education. The database is designed to contain or link
three kinds of data: 1) chemical data, 2) clinical data, and 3)
molecular biology/biochemistry data...."

or the browsable Metabolomics Toolbox at:
http://redpoll.pharmacy.ualberta.ca/hmdb/HMDB/scripts/browse.cgi?hits=20&browsn=1&pag=1&acco=11

One way to interconnect OEIS and the Human Metabolome Database would
be as follows, about which I seek your opinions.

169, 74, 0, 0, 102, 0, 0, 104, 0, 300, 104, 228, 0, 227, 346, 330,
183, 0, 116, 152, ...

a(n) = floor[Monoisotopic molecular weight of the molecule with the
n-th accession code in the Human Metabolome Database]; or 0 if
undefined (unfortunately this wmay vary slowly over time).

Example:

a(1) = floor[Monoisotopic molecular weight of HMDB00001] =
floor[Monoisotopic molecular weight of 1-Methylhistidine] =
floor[169.08501] = 169.

a(2) = floor[Monoisotopic molecular weight of HMDB00002] =
floor[Monoisotopic molecular weight of 1,3-Diaminopropane] =
floor[74.08440] = 74.

a(5811) = floor[Monoisotopic molecular weight of HMDB05811] =
floor[Monoisotopic molecular weight of Eriocitrin] =
floor[596.17401] = 596.

Worst, this sequence is dependent on an arithmetically arbitrary
indexing, with gaps, designed to have new data added over time.

Best, there should be some interorganizational communication between
the policymakers of these two magnificent databases.

There may be occasions where OEIS can be a tool that assists the
biomedical community in conjunction with HMDB.  It is even possible
that the inverse can happen, with enumeration studies about, for
instance, the number of biologically significant molecules with the
same mass-spectroscopic molecular weights (rounded down) as a function
of the number of carbon atoms, or number of rings.

My biases include that, retroactively, I can claim that my PhD
dissertation (1973-1977) was on dynamic metabolomics, just as I argue
that, retroactively it was the world's first on Nanotechnology and on
Artificial Life. That said, I am sure that many people will come to
interact with both OEIS and HMDB.

This is a fairly vague opening statement, but, first, does anyone
agree that there should be some negotiated connection between OEIS and
HMDB? Second, is there a better sequence than the one I threw out here
to initiate the discussion?

This subject has been discussed before, and it appears
that their sequences are not sufficiently well-defined
to warrant inclusion in the OEIS.

Neil