185 is special

Jonathan Post jvospost3 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 1 20:36:17 CEST 2007

185 is the number of conjugacy classes in the automorphism group of
the 8 dimensional hypercube.

So it is the first value in the sequence: number of conjugacy classes
in the automorphism group of the 8^n dimensional hypercube.

There are sneaky ways to make a sequence with an apparently different
definition which is provably equal to that.

Well, I'll stand up for lowly k-gonal numbers as being of interest (to me,
anyways). Generally, there are two questions I'd like to answer. Someone may
have already answered them, if so I haven't found those answers yet:

1.) If you know the factors of some composite integer k, can you find all
the representations of k as a sum of constant-spaced integers? For instance,
35 = 5*7, has at least the following representations:
{7 7 7 7 7; 5 6 7 8 9; 3 5 7 9 11; 1 4 7 10 13; 5 5 5 5 5 5 5; 2 3 4 5 6 7
8}. Is that all of them? Is there an algorithmic way to determine all of
them? I believe the answer to that last question is yes, but I haven't
formulated a complete method yet. I have a vague inkling that the "ease" of
factoring k may have something to do with the ratio of the number of these
represenations of k to k, but it's just an idea at this point.

2.) Is the converse true; if you know one of the representations of k as the
time) determine the others? I'm pretty sure it can be done generally (I've
found a few ways that work for different types of numbers), I'm just not

In the case of Zak's sequence it's a subset of A117048 -- Prime numbers
which are expressible as the sum of two triangular numbers -- since 10 is a
triangular number. With respect to the sequence proposed by Jonathan, it
interests me but I agree that there ought to be a way to demonstrate why
it's interesting, aside from it being a companion sequence to A125585 (Array
of constant-spaced integers read by antidiagonals). For me I'm generally
trying to amass information about sums of constant-spaced integers, but I
can certainly understand why that might not interest most people.