A129894, patterns, randomness, and clumps

Jon Schoenfield jonscho at hiwaay.net
Fri Jun 8 18:49:40 CEST 2007

<<  The best I can say is to (1) get as much data as possible, and (2) use
your best judgment.  >>

'Sounds like a good approach to me!  On the other hand, sometimes my best
judgment isn't as good as I'd like....   :-/

In the case of A129894, I eventually realized that, yes, the numbers _are_
tending to "clump," and with good reason:  as n gets larger, the average
value of the digits of n! -- other than the string of zeroes at the end --
can reasonably be expected to tend toward (0+1+2+3+4+5+6+7+8+9)/10 = 9/2,
and there are some ranges of values of n where it's much easier for the sum
to come out to an exact multiple of n than it is in other ranges.

E.g., around n = 225000, the number of zeroes at the end should be almost
n/4 = 56250 (I get 56248), and since 225000! has 1106528 digits, it'll have
about 1050280 digits that precede the terminal string of zeroes, and
1050280*9/2 = 4726260, which is very close to 21*n, so I shouldn't have been
too surprised when I got up this morning and saw that the next terms after
the clump in the 48000s were in a clump near 225000.  I should've realized
this earlier....

But I do appreciate your comments on my broader question(s)!  :-)

Thanks again,

-- Jon