possiby double

N. J. A. Sloane njas at research.att.com
Wed Jun 13 18:17:04 CEST 2007

sequences?
Me:  do you have proofs for these facts?  Or are they empirical
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 12:56:26 -0400 (EDT)
From: "N. J. A. Sloane" <njas at research.att.com>
To: <qq-quet at mindspring.com>, <qq-quet at mindspring.com>,
   <seqfan at ext.jussieu.fr>, <njas at research.att.com>,
   Leroy Quet <qq-quet at mindspring.com>
Subject: Re:  Avoiding Duplicate Sequences: Idea
Cc: njas at research.att.com
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 10:34:01 -0700 (PDT)
From: Robert Israel <israel at math.ubc.ca>
To: "N. J. A. Sloane" <njas at research.att.com>
cc: Leroy Quet <qq-quet at mindspring.com>, Leroy Quet <qq-quet at mindspring.com>,
   seqfan at ext.jussieu.fr, Leroy Quet <qq-quet at mindspring.com>

On Wed, 13 Jun 2007, N. J. A. Sloane wrote:

> The trouble with Leroy's suggestion is this:
>
> Most users of the OEIS don't know what a "proof" is.
> For the average user, the fact that two sequences
> agree for a while means they really are the same.
> The concept of mathematical proof is Sanskrit to
> most people.
>
> So asking someone if their sequence is the same
> as another sequence won't do any good.

Of course, many people may not be able to prove whether their
sequence really is the same as the other one (maybe not even
if they are very good theorem-provers), but I don't think
that's the intent of Leroy's idea.  It's not designed to prevent
duplication completely, but it could filter out many of the
more obvious duplicates.  The message should be phrased in such
a way that it doesn't unduly discourage someone who isn't
absolutely sure.

Cheers,
Robert Israel

Robert wrote:
>Of course, many people may not be able to prove whether their
>sequence really is the same as the other one (maybe not even
>if they are very good theorem-provers), but I don't think
>that's the intent of Leroy's idea.  It's not designed to prevent
>duplication completely, but it could filter out many of the
>more obvious duplicates.  The message should be phrased in such
>a way that it doesn't unduly discourage someone who isn't
>absolutely sure.

I agree with Neil that people can often assume that, because two

And I agree with Robert too.

What concerns me about this, however, is that some sequence/comment
can be defined in another way, when (in fact) the commented-on sequence
and the sequence defined in the comment may be different sequences.

I propose that it be made absolutely clear on the submission/comment page
that claims about a sequence be absolutely certain (and in a more visible
way than the current statement about the EIS being at the standards of a
mathematical journal). And it should probably state explicitly that just
because two sequences agree for the number of terms given, then that
doesn't mean the sequences are necessarily the same.

Thanks,
Leroy Quet

--MS_Mac_OE_3264608907_79478_MIME_Part

Perhaps a "Comment on this sequence" link could be added [...]

--MS_Mac_OE_3264608907_79478_MIME_Part

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Re: Avoiding misidentified comments/extensions:  idea</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<FONT FACE=3D"Arial"><BR>
proposal is a very good idea!<BR>
ist and encourage comments on sequences.<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
---------------------------------------------------------------<BR>
</FONT><BLOCKQUOTE><FONT FACE=3D"Arial"><BR>
<B>From: </B>jonscho at hiwaay.net<BR>
<B>Date: </B>Wed, 13 Jun 2007 11:16:03 -0500 (CDT)<BR>
<B>To: </B>njas at research.att.com<BR>
<B>Cc: </B>seqfan at ext.jussieu.fr<BR>
<B>Subject: </B>Avoiding misidentified comments/extensions:  idea<BR>
<BR>
Perhaps a "Comment on this sequence" link could be added [...]</F=
ONT></BLOCKQUOTE>
</BODY>
</HTML>

--MS_Mac_OE_3264608907_79478_MIME_Part--