Possible Comment on A007095

David Wilson davidwwilson at comcast.net
Tue May 22 13:36:01 CEST 2007

Possible Comment on A007095The straightforward proof that SUM_{n has no 9} 1/n < 80 is of course to show that for d >= 1, there are 8*9^(d-1) d-digit numbers with no 9. The smallest d-digit number is 1/10^(d-1), so the sum of 9-less d-digit numbers is bounded above by 8*(9/10)^(d-1). Summing this for d >= 1 gives 80. The argument would have been exactly the same for any positive digit (though possibly slightly different for 0, since 0 cannot be a leading digit, which lowers the count of 0-less d-digit numbers). Hence 80 is an upper bound for the sum of the reciprocals of d-less numbers for any 1 <= d <= 9.