Sequences based on algorithms

Andrew Plewe aplewe at sbcglobal.net
Wed Nov 14 19:40:58 CET 2007

should return the same results. Anyways, I included comments about all of
	-Andrew Plewe-
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 20:49:19 -0800
From: "Jonathan Post" <jvospost3 at gmail.com>
To: deutsch <deutsch at duke.poly.edu>
Subject: Re: to all OEIS contributors
Cc: seqfan at ext.jussieu.fr, "jonathan post" <jvospost2 at yahoo.com>

I agree with Emeric Deutsch. I have tried hard to be an "innocent" but
this time confess as a "culprit" with the plea of "guilty with an
explanation."

I was embarassed today to see two new seqs of mine with correct
Mathematica and numerical data, but an identical error in the title:

A132432 Number of different values of i^2+j^2+k^+l^2+m^2 for i,j,k,l,m in [0,n].

A132438 Number of different values of i^2+j^2+k^+l^2+m^2+n^2 for
i,j,k,l,m,n in [0,n].

You see the error? k has a null exponent, instead of 2. So how did
this happen, especially given my agreement on the importance of doing
our own refereeing?

I didn't want to make a typo in the equational title, so I carefully
(but not carefully enough) modified a cut and paste from a similar
prior seq:

A047801  Number of different values of i^2+j^2+k^+l^2 for i,j,k,l in [ 0,n ].

But that also (as I see now) has no exponent for the k.  The good news
is, I have thus (by sinning twice) and meditating on my confessed
sins, allowed perfection of the sainthood of A047801's author,  Wouter
Meeussen, who has been very helpful to me and others in OEIS.

So the moral of the story?  Be willing to avoid one's own mistakes,
but be upfront about correcting them once noticed, and be glad to
debug previously un-noticed errors by one's peers.