Numerical values of Latin letters

Jonathan Post jvospost3 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 21 03:18:30 CET 2007

My mother and father spoke latin, but are both deceased.  My wife
speaks latin, but I'm not home right now.  So, risking the open
display of my ignorance:

COMMENT FROM Jonathan Vos Post RE A132984

%I A132984
%S A132984 4, 3, 4, 8, 7, 3, 6, 4, 5, 5, 7, 8, 8, 13, 9, 7, 11, 12, 11,
 7, 11, 10, 11, 15, 14, 10, 13, 13, 12, 8, 12, 11, 12, 16, 15, 11, 14,
 16, 15
%N A132984 Number of letters in n (in Latin).
%C A132984 Does not count spaces as letters. Wheelock: "Note that the
 declinable forms are not indicated here (e.g., words ending with unus,
 duo, tres, and the designations for two to nine hundred, like ducenti,
 trecenti, etc.). Also, some alternate forms do not appear (e.g.,
 undecentum for ninety-nine)." I've correct a(3) = 4 because of "tres" and
 added what I suspect is a(11)-a(40). There is a possibility that the first
 version of this sequence confused ordinal and cardinal (i.e.
 ordinal(10) = decimus which has 7 letters.
%H A132984 Claude Pavur, <a
href="http://www.slu.edu/colleges/AS/languages/classical/latin/tchmat/grammar/whprax/w15npa.html">Latin
Number Practice, From Latin Names</a>, Latin Teaching Materials
at Saint Louis University, 2006.
%e A132984 unus, duo, tres, quattuor, quinque, sex, septem, octo,
 novem, decem, undecim, duodecim, tredecim, quattuordecim, quindecim,
 sedecim, septendecim, duodeviginti, undeviginti, viginti, viginti unus,
 viginti duo, viginti tres, viginti quattuor, viginti quinque, viginti sex,
 viginti septem, duodetriginta, undetriginta, triginta, triginta unus,
 triginta duo, triginta tres, triginta quattuor, triginta quinque, triginta
 sex, triginta septem, duodequadraginta, undequadraginta, quadraginta.
%Y A132984 Cf. A005589. See the Index to the OEIS under "letters in n"
 for other languages.
%O A132984 1,1
%K A132984 ,easy,more,nonn,word,
%A A132984 Jonathan Vos Post (jvospost2 at yahoo.com), Nov 20 2007