Futuristic idea

Joshua Zucker joshua.zucker at gmail.com
Wed Nov 21 21:56:50 CET 2007

On 11/21/07, Artur <grafix at csl.pl> wrote:
> Dear Neil and Seqfans,
> My idea and suggestion will be adding to the ONEIS new record MSC
> Classification
> see http://www.ams.org/msc/
> Of course input more than 130 kilo sequences of codes will be not easy
> and not quick to realization but step by step available especially in
> new added sequences.
> Purpose of the new record will be search base after MSC codes.
> Best wishes
> ARTUR

This seems completely useless to me, but maybe there's something I'm
not understanding.  The OEIS is an encyclopedia of integer sequences,
and the MSC is a mapping between integers and mathematical topics (or
descriptions of mathematical topics).  So ... where's the sequence?
How would OEIS be linked to useful things in the MSC (namely, the text
of the description for each item, and perhaps papers in the arXiv on
those topics)?  I don't see it fitting at all, but as I say, maybe I'm
missing something that would make it useful to fill the OEIS with
lists of these MSC codes.

Or maybe you meant something about using the MSC code for sequences to
find more raw material for OEIS?  Unfortunately,
http://www.ams.org/msc/40-xx.html shows that they have more like
infinite sequences, sums, divergence, and so on, not so much integer
sequences.

Then again, there's http://www.ams.org/msc/11Bxx.html which shows
number theoretic sequences fairly well.  Similarly
http://www.ams.org/msc/05Axx.html probably has a bunch of good
combinatorial sequences.  And I'm sure I've missed several more
classifications we could use to help index papers of likely interest
for raw material for OEIS.

--Joshua Zucker