Averaging problem

franktaw at netscape.net franktaw at netscape.net
Tue Nov 27 10:14:41 CET 2007

Take the n values to be distinct powers of 2^n.  The weight of each
value in the final result is always a power of 2 between 2^0 and
2^-(n-1).
(2^0 occurs only for n=1, but that doesn't affect the argument.)
Looking at the binary expansion of the final average, we can tell
exactly
what weight was assigned to each number.

 From the weights, it is easy to determine the exact parenthesization
tree.  The final operation occurs exactly where the running sum of the
weights is 1/2.  If there is more than number on one side of the
operation, the last operation on that side occurs where the sum (on
that side) is 1/4, etc.

I don't think that all possible values can be obtained.  For n > 1, any
given number can be given any power of 2 weight between 2^-1
and 2^-(n-1).  This means that operands all the same except for one
different value will produce n-1 distinct values.  While 1 value is of
course always obtainable (just take all operands equal), I don't see
any way to get strictly between 1 and n-1 distinct values.  I don't
know if there are other unobtainable values between n-1 and C(n-1),
but I expect there are.

Franklin T. Adams-Watters