Need help with 2421 sequence

Tanya Khovanova tanyakh at TanyaKhovanova.com
Fri Sep 14 19:33:08 CEST 2007

2421 is the unique number with the property you describe.

Let f(n) = SUM(digits d of n; prime(d)^d), so that f(2421) = 2421, as you
describe.

Let n have d digits. An inductive proof shows that for d >= 15

    f(n) <= d*prime(9)^9 = d*23^9 < 10*(d-1) <= n

meaning that for numbers of 15 or more digits, we can never have n = f(n),
the sort of number Tanya is seeking.

This means we only have to search numbers <= 14 digits, still a daunting
computation on an average PC.

We can of course eliminate numbers that have the digit 0, which mitigates
the computation somewhat.

But now suppose n is one of the numbers that Tanya is looking for, that is,
f(n) = n. If we sort the digits of n to get m, then f(m) = n and f(f(m)) =
n. So every number n Tanya wants shows up as n = f(m) = f(f(m)) for some
sorted zeroless m of 14 or fewer digits, a MUCH smaller search space.

I wrote a program based on these observations that confirmed that 2421 is
the unique solution in less than 2 seconds.