a graph puzzle

Max Alekseyev maxale at gmail.com
Fri Apr 4 12:53:08 CEST 2008

Well, Maximilian seemed to be the only person got interested in this puzzle.

I think, now it is time to explain what it is.

The graph represents a mapping between integer pairs of co-prime
integers: (p,q) -> (a,b), where (a,b) is the ordered pair of the
absolute values of "smallest" Bezout coefficients for the pair (p,q).
To find (a,b), one need to find Bezout identity:
u*p + v*q = 1
with the minimum value of |u|+|v|, and take the ordered pair of values
|u|,|v| (the smallest first) as (a,b).

Alternatively, (a,b) can be computed as the numerator and denominator
of the second but last convergent to the fraction p/q.
Sample implementation in PARI/GP is below:

{ ab(p,q) = contfracpnqn(contfrac(p/q))[,2]~ }

? ab(23,30)
%1 = [10, 13]

So, my question remains the same - is this mapping present in OEIS in
either form?

P.S. My original concern was about pairs below given N, having the
longest path to (0,1), but they seem to be simply consecutive
Fibonacci numbers (as in Lame's theorem about Euclidean algorithm).

Regards,
Max