2^k - 2m+1 = prime & Sum Of Primes Is Power Of Primes: Question

Leroy Quet q1qq2qqq3qqqq at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 7 17:04:44 CEST 2008

A couple things in response.

even get a couple terms right: Thank you,
Maximilian, for finding that error in A139019.
This is why I only calculate a few terms of the
sequences I submit. I am calculating them by
hand, often without even a calculator. And on top
of that, I am error-prone. So I try to minimize
the risk of an error by submitting only a couple
terms.
I would bet other sequences of mine (currently
labeled with the keyword "more") are in error
too. I try to double/triple-check everything. But
sometimes, as you can see, I STILL make a stupid
error or two.
And, Maximilian, would you please also submit the
corrected version of A139020 (the partial sums of
A139019), if you haven't already?

2) In regards to the sequence where a(n) is the
smallest positive integer k where 2^k -2n +1 is
prime: Yes, this is sequence A096502 (with change
of offset), by definition.
I could not get a(4) myself, even with my
calculator. (I knew that a(4) is odd and is >=
17. But I would have not been able to find that
solution without a computer.)

And thanks to David Wilson for getting that
A096502(388575) does not exist. Perhaps you
should send a comment in to the EIS regarding the
missing term(s) of this sequence, if you want to.

3) As for the comment that my sequences should
have offset 1 unless there is a reason not to: I
almost always prefer to use offset 1 anyway.
There was a reason (not a good reason) I used
offset 0 here. (The other sequence, which I
recently wrote to seq.fan about, where the sum of
primes is a composite, I started that sequence at
a(0) because the first term was 1, not a
composite but rather a nonprime. I gave A139019
through A139022 an offset of 0 because of the
fact these sequences are vaguely related to the
sum-of-primes-equals-a-composite sequence.)
In any case, there are many sequences in the EIS
already that have offset of 0, and I don't see
any reason why they need that offset. Neil? Your
opinion?

Thanks,
Leroy Quet