Sequence in context

franktaw at netscape.net franktaw at netscape.net
Mon Apr 21 09:09:47 CEST 2008

The "context" in "sequences in context" refers only to the
lexicographical ordering
of the sequence.  Sequences are ordered (based on the absolute values)
from the
first value greater than 1 (so 1,2,4,... comes after 2,3,5,...).
Sequences with only
zeros and ones are ordered simply from the first value in the sequence
-- which
means that all of them sort before any sequence containing a value
greater than
one.

------
For anyone who is interested, the first sequence by this order is the
zeros
sequence, A000004, followed by A112316, for which the first non-zero
term is
a(64).  The last sequence of zeros and ones is a tie between the ones
sequence, A000012, and a considerable number of signed sequences with
all
absolute values equal to 1.  (I'm not sure how sequences differing only
in the
sign are sorted.)

Currently, the first sequence not consisting only of zeros and ones is
A064287,
"Number of cyclotomic cosets C of 2 mod 2n+1 such that -C is not equal
to C,
divided by 2." which has several zeros and ones, and a final two (so
far).  This
sequence has the unusual combination of the keywords "easy" and "more",
while only having a few terms.  Perhaps someone can extend it.

The last sequence is A095646, 128 written in base n.  The last sequence
not
of the form "x written in base n" is A033290, "Ten consecutive primes
in
arithmetic progression".

Franklin T. Adams-Watters