10-direction clock

Rainer Rosenthal r.rosenthal at web.de
Tue Apr 22 20:05:26 CEST 2008

Eric Angelini wrote:
>                           . 11
>
>                0
>         9      *      1
>          *          *
>
>      8 *                * 2
>                .                  . 23 & 32
>
>      7 *                * 3
>
>          *          *
>         6      *     4
>                5
>
> Hello SeqFans,
> Imagine we assign a direction to each digit, as above.
> If we start at the center of the circle, the number "16"
> would bring us back to the center (we move one step in
> direction "1" and, from there, one step in direction "6").
> The number "11" would drive us outside the clock, as shown,
> -- and so would "23" or "32" (sharing the same spot).

Please have a look into the fantastic world of "Snakes on
a Plane". If I'm not mistaken, then Eric' idea is closely
related to the snakes with N=10:
http://www.enginemonitoring.net/azpc/zz/azpczzresults.htm

Watching the new snakes grow these days ( nurtured by Hugo
Pfoertner and Markus Sigg), I already wondered where the
Pi-snake 3145926... would fill the plane. For that we have to
change the rules of the according contest slightly, allowing
for the forward-backward steps (16 in Eric's explanation).
For the related archive see:
http://www.recmath.org/contest/Snakes/index.php

I hope this isn't considered unappropriate for SeqFan.

Best wishes,
Rainer