Scatterplot Question

franktaw at netscape.net franktaw at netscape.net
Sat Aug 2 19:53:57 CEST 2008

What you are looking at is basically a graphical representation of
the continued fraction for pi (or more precisely, 2*pi).  Robert's
graph is, I think, showing the famous good approximation pi ~
355/113; Leroy's graph seems to represent several convergents
between 22/7 and 355/113.  At other scales, you will see
other patterns.

Note that comparisons of sin n, as used for A141330, are
equivalent to comparisons with a saw-tooth wave; so we really
are just looking at n mod 2pi.

Franklin T. Adams-Watters