[seqfan] Re: You wouldn't believe (fwd) A005178

Paolo Lava ppl at spl.at
Fri Dec 26 10:51:54 CET 2008

Hello to seqfans.

Another consideration. I have studied a little the sequences a(n)=(n^k mod r). If we fix the value for “r” and let “k” to assume the values 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 …. the sequences we obtain repeat themselves according to the following table.
Here period means that [n^k mod r = n^(k+period) mod r] while anti-period shows how many initial “k” we have to take away before the periodicity starts.

“r”            period       anti-period
1		1		0
2 		1		0
3		2		0
4		2		1
5		4		0
6		2		0
7		6		0
8		2		2
9		6		1
10		4		0
11		10		0
12		2		1
13		12		0
14		6		0
15		4		0
16		4		3
17		16		0
18		6		1
19		18		0
20		4		1

Obviously if “r” is prime the period is equal “r-1” (anti-period=0).
The sequence of the periods is A002322 while the sequence of the anti-periods is A066301.

Best wishes

Paolo