trivial more terms

N. J. A. Sloane njas at research.att.com
Thu Feb 14 15:19:36 CET 2008

o~~~~~~~~~o~~~~~~~~~o~~~~~~~~~o~~~~~~~~~o~~~~~~~~~o~~~~~~~~~o

andrew,

this vaguely reminds me of some stuff i used to think about
in connection with "riffs and rotes", but not sure this is
the place for an extended discussion.

feel free to register and start a thread at the inquiry site
that i use for such explorations.

jon awbrey

Andrew Plewe wrote:

> Hopefully this idea isn't too esoteric or innane for the list, it's
> something I've been thinking about for awhile. Imagine that you had an
> oracle with the following property -- it could tell you what happened when
> you add 1 to an integer. What are all of the "observables" (and I mean that
> in a quasi-quantum physics sense) that the oracle would describe? My first
> thought is that there are an infinite number of observable properties for
> any integer. However, does the number of "observables" go up with the size
> of any particular integer (both in the positive and negative directions)? If
> so, is there any way to count the increase? I don't know if any of this can
> be nailed down; so much seems to depend on how you define "observables" and
> it seems like one could invent an arbitrary number of properties for any
> particular integer or set of integers.
>
>         -Andrew Plewe-

o~~~~~~~~~o~~~~~~~~~o~~~~~~~~~o~~~~~~~~~o~~~~~~~~~o~~~~~~~~~o
inquiry e-lab: http://stderr.org/pipermail/inquiry/
mwb: http://www.mywikibiz.com/Directory:Jon_Awbrey
mathweb: http://www.mathweb.org/wiki/User:Jon_Awbrey
getwiki: http://www.getwiki.net/-UserTalk:Jon_Awbrey
p2p wiki: http://www.p2pfoundation.net/User:JonAwbrey
zhongwen wp: http://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Jon_Awbrey
ontolog: http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?JonAwbrey
http://www.altheim.com/ceryle/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=JonAwbrey
wp review: http://wikipediareview.com/index.php?showuser=398
o~~~~~~~~~o~~~~~~~~~o~~~~~~~~~o~~~~~~~~~o~~~~~~~~~o~~~~~~~~~o

Max, you said:

I've just found a page
http://algo.inria.fr/libraries/autocomb/Polya-html/Polya.html
where a number of sequences related to enumeration of classes of
chemical molecules are derived and references to the EIS book are
given.
But one of the sequences is described as

"This series does not appear in the book by N. J. A. Sloane and S.
Plouffe [ The Encyclopedia of Integer Sequences , (1995), Academic
Press]"

I've checked a few first terms in OEIS, and it is still not there.
Could somebody with chemical background submit this sequence to OEIS
with an appropriate description (a reference to this page and a maple
code from there will be also useful)?

Also, it makes sense to find the other mentioned sequences (that are
present in OEIS) and give a reference to this page in OEIS entries.

Neil