More digital silliness

Max Alekseyev maxale at gmail.com
Sun Jan 13 00:16:04 CET 2008

Corrections:

1) The number of square roots of any number b modulo m (where b and m
are coprime) is
2^omega(m), where omega(m) is the number of distinct prime divisors of
m, only if m is odd or the power of 2 in its prime factorization is 2
(i.e., valuation(m,2)=0 or valuation(m,2)=2 correspondingly).
It is twice as much for valuation(m,2)>2 and twice as low for valuation(m,2)=1.

2) Solutions to the system of congruences:

y = x * r1 (mod m)
z = x * r2 (mod m)

may not be necessary coprime to m. Therefore, we need to go over all
square divisors d^2 | m, solve the reduced system:

y' = x' * r1 (mod m/d^2)
z' = x' * r2 (mod m/d^2)

and let x = x' * d, y = y' * d, z = z' * d to get a solution to the
original system.

This also has certain implication to the chance of the solution
existence: it is larger for m with a large square divisor d^2,
especially if m/d^2 and d are not coprime (ideally if d is square-free
and m is divisible by d^3, so that gcd(m/d^2,d)=d).

Regards,
Max