Value a(6) in doubt for a =

Maximilian Hasler maximilian.hasler at gmail.com
Tue Jan 15 13:41:12 CET 2008

In http://www.research.att.com/~njas/sequences/A101877 ,
which could be more concisely be defined by:

%N or
%F A101877 a(n) = min { max S | S c N*, sum( 1/x, x in S) = n }

njas writes:

Little is known about the number of different sets S that achieve
a(n). Paul Hanna asks if it is always true that a solution set S for
n+1 must necessarily contain a solution set for n as a subset. This is
true for small n, apparently, but seems to me unlikely to hold in
general. - njas, Dec 31 2005

ME:
The number of sets S such that sum( 1/x, x in S) = n  is clearly infinite :
one can always write the last fraction (1/k = 1/a(n) initially) as a
sum of two different reciprocals with greater denominator :
1 / k = 1/[ k+1 ] + 1/[ k (k+1) ]

Maximilian

--
Maximilian F. Hasler (Maximilian.Hasler(AT)gmail.com)