Partition-related sequence

franktaw at netscape.net franktaw at netscape.net
Wed Jan 23 00:56:03 CET 2008

a(5) = 9, and a(6) = 11.  This means that my conjecture that A002088 is
optimal is wrong.

9 can be achieved for n = 5 with the partition [3,4,5,6,6,7,8,9,12].
This
partitions for k = 5 into [12], [3,9], [4,8], [5,7], and [6,6]; for k =
4 into
[3,12], [6,9], [7,8], and [4,5,6]; and for k = 3 into [8,12], [5,6,9],
and
[3,4,6,7].

(Note that it is only necessary to consider k > floor(n/2), since any
sub-
partition for 2k can be changed into a partition of k by arbitrarily
combining
pairs.)

To achieve 11 parts with n = 6, note that in the given partition for n
= 5,
k = 3, one of the parts ([3,4,6,7]) can be split in half.  We can then
split
one number in each of the other two parts so that they can be split in
half: the 12 must be split into 10 and 2, and we can choose one of
splitting 9 into 4 and 5, 6 into 1 and 5, or 5 into 1 and 4.
Arbitrarily taking
the first of these, we get [2,3,4,4,5,5,6,6,7,8,10] as a solution.

To show that 9 and 11 are minimal, we first establish a general lower
bound a(n) >= 2n-2.  This is a bit easier to explicate using the
fractional
form of the problem, which I will use for the remainder of this note.
(A multiset of positive fractions, such that for k = 1..n, it is
possible to
partition them into k submultisets, each summing to 1/k.  This is
easily
converted to a multiset of integers by multiplying by the lcm of the
divisors; and conversely by dividing by the sum of the multiset.)  The
proof is pretty trivial:

Because the multiset can be partitioned into n parts, each totaling
1/n, it
follows that no fraction can be greater than 1/n.  In particular, each
part
must be less than 1/(n-1), so the partition into n-1 parts must have at
least 2 numbers in each part, for a total of at least 2(n-1), as
claimed.

This immediately shows that David's values for n = 2, 3, and 4 are
optimal.
(And of course a(1) = 1 is obvious.)

I can then almost prove that for n > 4, 2n-1 is a lower bound.  The
necessary lemma is that in any partition into 2(n-1) = 2n-2 parts, all
the
parts must be integer multiples of 1/(n(n-1)).  But for n > 4, the
split into
n-2 parts is then impossible, since (1/(n-2))/(1/(n(n-1))) =
(n(n-1))/(n-2)
= n + n/(n-2) is not an integer when n > 4.

To achieve 2n-2 parts, the partition into n-1 parts must consist
entirely of
parts of size 2, and the partition into n parts must include at least
two
parts of size 1.  A part of size one must be [1/n].  Looking at the
partition
into n-2 parts, this forces the same number of fractions of size
1/(n(n-1)).
In the simplest case, where there are only 2 parts of size 1, the
remaining
parts of the partition into n parts must consist of parts of size 2, so
we
are now forced to have two fractions (n-2)/(n(n-1)).  This continues
back and forth until we wind up with determining the last 2 parts as
1/(2n) for n odd and 1/(2(n-1)) for n even.

When there are m > 2 parts of size 1 in the partition into n parts, we
first
need to choose what the remaining part sizes will be.  There are then
forced to be m fractions 1/(n(n-1)).  Filling these in to the partition
of
size n, at least 2 parts will be filled to all but one number; the
remaining
numbers in these parts are then determined and are multiples of
1/(n(n-1)).  They are also too small to make up a part in the n-1
partition,
so two more multiples of 1/(n(n-1)) are determined there.  These are
too big to fit into 1 part in the n partition, so now two more
fractions
are determined.  Continuing back and forth this way should determine
all
the fractions.  If it is ever possible to use the two fractions thus
generated
to fill a part, the process stops with some values still undetermined;
this is
the point that I am unable to prove.

I have, however, examined all cases for n = 5 and n = 6, and found that
9 and 11 are not possible for them.  Together with the examples given
above, this shows that a(5) = 9 and a(6) = 11.

Searching for 2,4,6,9,11 in the OEIS gives 16 matches, none of which
are in any way related to this question.  So the sequence is not there.

Franklin T. Adams-Watters