Asymptotics about A005228

David W. Wilson wilson.d at anseri.com
Tue Jun 3 15:14:27 CEST 2008

Let f = A005228, and let g = complement of f.

The fact that f and g are complements leads to

    [1]  #{k: f(k) <= n} + #{k: g(k) <= n} = n

And the fact that f is the running sum of g leads to

    [2]  f(n) = 1 + SUM(k < n; g(k))

In order to guess at the asymptotics of f, we handwave f and g into real
functions and freely translate [1] and [2] into similar real relationships,
getting:

    [3]   f^-1(x) + g^-1(x) = x   where f^-1 is the inverse of f

    [4]  f = g'

This leads to

Of course, I have blithely ignored a lot of details, but one might hope that
a function satisfying [5] would give a good asymptotic to A005228.

I wish I could solve [5].