need a function

Max Alekseyev maxale at gmail.com
Sat Jun 14 09:53:28 CEST 2008

Brendan,

I'm not sure what "simple" means to you. One of those link suggest the
following code:

===
// OR (IF YOU KNOW v IS A POWER OF 2):

const unsigned int b[] = {0xAAAAAAAA, 0xCCCCCCCC, 0xF0F0F0F0,
0xFF00FF00, 0xFFFF0000};
register unsigned int c = (v & b[0]) != 0;
for (i = 4; i > 0; i--) // unroll for speed...
{
}
===

For me it looks simple and efficient.

As of loops - they are hard to avoid. Even computing a value of a
polynomial (such as Lagrange interpolating polynomial) implies a kind
of a loop.

Regards,
Max