Questions related to A006832

sellersj at math.psu.edu sellersj at math.psu.edu
Fri Mar 28 15:17:31 CET 2008

Dear SeqFans,

I have a couple questions related to A006832.  I fear that they arise
either because I don't understand what a "totally real cubic field" is or
because I don't understand what Maple is telling me (or both).

My first question is this:  Why aren't 592, 729, 916, and 1264 in the
sequence?  I mention them because they are the discriminants of the
following polynomials:

592:   y^3-2y^2-4y+4
729:   y^3-9y+9
916:   y^3-2y^2-5y+2
1264:  y^3-7y+2

My other question is this:  Can anyone share with me polynomials which
correspond to the discriminants 169 and 961 (respectively) (given that 169
and 961 appear in the sequence)?

James Sellers