Numbers with "perfect" figurate representation

Andrew Plewe aplewe at sbcglobal.net
Mon Mar 31 07:59:23 CEST 2008

Perhaps I should clarify -- the representation must be "complete", i.e.
you can't continue rightward without hitting zero or a negative number.
  Hence some of the values you found violate the "column" rule -- i.e.
that the sequence of numbers in the columns must match those in the
rows. For example, n=15 doesn't work because the "complete"
representation of n using 5 as the "base" is:

5 6 7 8 9
5 5 5 5 5
5 4 3 2 1

Around the perimeter the sequence is (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9). However, the
last row is (1,5,9). For the representation to be "perfect", the last
column sequence should match that of the perimeter, such as for the
number 25:

5 7 9
5 6 7
5 5 5
5 4 3
5 3 1

You get (1,3,5,7,9) whether you go around the perimeter or up the last
column. In fact all the "row" sequences match their respective "column"
sequences in such a representation. I'm re-evaluating the sequence you
came up with; so far I've verified these values up to and including 30:

6,9,25,30

	-Andrew Plewe-