A138812 & A138813 Asymptotics

Leroy Quet q1qq2qqq3qqqq at yahoo.com
Fri May 2 19:07:21 CEST 2008

Consider these two sequences.

A138812: a(0)=1. a(n) = sum{k=0 to n-1}
floor(n/a(k)).

A138813: a(0)=1. a(n) = sum{k=0 to n-1}
ceiling(n/a(k)).

Plotting A138812 and A138813, it LOOKS like
A138812(n) ~ c*n and that A138813(n) ~ d*n, where
c and d are some constants and d > c.

But I doubt this is really the case.
I think that A138812 may actually start to rise
faster than A138813 at some point, and overtake
it. Is that hunch correct?

In any case, can someone calculate many more
terms of these sequences so as to see what
A138812 and A138813 might be asymptotical to?

Thanks,
Leroy Quet

Be a better friend, newshound, and

I don't have the book you're writing about, but it looks like you're referring
to what we call the Euler transform at the OEIS (or possibly the exponetial
transform.)

You can find information about both transforms at:
http://www.research.att.com/~njas/sequences/transforms.html

Basically, if a(n) is a sequence of the number of unlabeled connected
unlabeled structures.

If dealing with labeled structures, use exponential transform instead.

Hence A000088 unlabeled graphs is Euler transform of A001349 unlabeled
connected graphs.

A006125 labeled graphs is exponetial transform of A001187 labeled connected
graphs.

Both transforms are invertible and the inverses can be used to calculated the
connected sequence from the general sequence. The inverse exponential
transform is sometimes called the logarithmic transform.