b-file sanity check

David W. Wilson wilson.d at anseri.com
Thu May 29 17:23:59 CEST 2008

I guess my point was:

The b-file and the b-file link included redundant, manually synchronized
data in a volatile environment. You can therefore count on a never-ending
battle against inconsistencies.

In a nutshell, my suggestion is this: Set things up so that when you put a
properly named b-file in the proper location, a proper link to the proper
b-file automatically shows up in the proper location in the proper sequence.
Adding this capability would probably take a few minutes.

The results would be that we could dispense with the b-file links.
Submitters of b-files would no longer have to worry about creating links,
users would no longer have to search for them among the other entries, NJAS
would no longer have to check or correct them. It looks like a no-brainer to
me, I'm having a hard time seeing the downside.

With regard to Maximilian's suggestions: My suggestion and his are entirely
independent. My suggestion is a one-time fix that will reduce OEIS
maintenance and improve b-file accessibility. Maximilian's suggestion is a
potential ongoing project for providing special-interest formatting of
b-files. I did not want my suggestion rejected out-of-hand because it was
perceived as opening that Pandora's box.