[seqfan] Re: n x n matrices with adjacent entries differing by +/- 1

Marc LeBrun mlb at well.com
Sun Nov 2 04:22:27 CET 2008

Edwin, if you'll forgive a less-than rigorous
argument (ie it may be just the late coffee
talking) I think I can see how it's not so
surprising that these might be
isomorphic.  Consider constructing a trace of the
work done by coloring algorithms that step
sequentially through the cells in some order.  In
your up/down version the "next" cell can only be
one of two colors, and in A068253's mod-3 version
the choice is also limited to two possible
outputs, although the kind of "paint" actually
output differs.  I imagine you can probably do
something like take the deltas in your version,
and cumulatively sum them mod-3 to get A068253's patterns, or the like...?

Anyway, regardless, it might also be interesting
to see what sequences you get when the constraint
wraps around the edges (with or without a reflection)?