[seqfan] Re: New interpretation of A001045 - Jacobsthal numbers?

Maximilian Hasler maximilian.hasler at gmail.com
Sun Nov 2 18:25:29 CET 2008

>> "How many ways are there to tile a 2 x N rectangle
>>     using 1x2 dominoes and 2x2 squares ?"

let a(N) be that number. Clearly a(1)=1 and a(2)=3.
Moreover we have a(N+1) = a(N) + a(N-1)*2,
where the first term arises from adding a 1x2 domino to the 2xN tiling,
and the second term arises from adding either a square, or 2 1x2
dominoes in "longitudinal" direction.

(Or otherwise said, a 2xN tiling has either its last piece being a
domino in "transverse" direction,
in which case removing it yields a 2x(N-1) tiling, or the last piece
is a square or 2 dominoes in longitudinal direction, in which case
removal will yield an N-2 tiling.)

Thus we have the recurrent equation defining the Jacobstal sequence,
and since we start with 1,3,... it is the same sequence (with index
shifted by one,
a(n) = A001045(n+1), n>0 ; we might add a(0)=1 considering the empty
tiling as the only possibility of tilng the 2x0 rectangle.)

Maximilian