[seqfan] Re: New interpretation of A001045 - Jacobsthal numbers?

deutsch deutsch at duke.poly.edu
Mon Nov 3 01:01:12 CET 2008

Dear Neil,

Proof is very simple. The basic tilings are
1 x 2 domino vertically;
2 x 2 square;
two horizontal 1 x 2 dominos.

By basic I mean that every tiling is a concatenation
of these tilings. The g.f. of the basic tilings is
g=x + x^2 + x^2 = x + 2x^2.
Then the g.f. of all tilings is
G = 1/(1-g)=1/(1-x-2x^2).
This leads to the given sequence.